List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Moving 3.5 development into branches/KDE/3.5
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 13:32:21

Hi!

As originally announced I would like to have trunk based on Qt4 really soon
now. For this I would like to branch off trunk this friday (and use the time
till then to do an initial port of some more modules).

The translations were unaffected and would happen from the 3.5 branch. The 3.5
branch would still be an active development branch, but every change done
there has to be done also in trunk. The actual schedule on merging might vary
from app to app or even module to module, but that should be the goal. We can
even make a public list of all revisions happened to 3.5 branch and strike
off forward ports through a commit keyword (or some similiar mechanism).

But I think this needs to be done even before Qt4 is released. And it's no
longer a completly uncertain adventure, but we know pretty well by now how
much porting effort is behind Qt4 - but what we do not know is how well it
runs. Getting konqueror to compile was done in pretty short time, but getting
it to work for daily usage will still take a good while and we should as
project should have good overview over it.

Everyone is free to stay and develop for KDE 3.5 as long as he feels like it,
but everyone should be aware that the development for it needs to be ported
to KDE4 without too much major pain or you're just asking for frustration.

If no objections are raised on kde-core-devel, I will announce my plans to
kde-cvs-announce.

Greetings, Stephan