List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-04-26 8:11:38

On Monday 25 of April 2005 22:36, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Lundi 25 Avril 2005 20:46, Michael Pyne a écrit  :
> > On Monday 25 April 2005 10:45 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > - Since the icon is not handled by the application but by the applet,
> > > the application doesn't have any direct control over it.
> >
> > How would this work with e.g. juk's systray icon?  juk shows its state in
> > the systray, so it needs to be able to switch the icon for starters.
>
> This is not really a problem, as you can simply modify the main window icon
> to reflect the state (and so the state is shown even in the task bar)
>
> This is quite unusual to to this, but i don't see a reason against.

 It could be this way, and that's how the patches currently work, but there
wouldn't be a problem having a tray-specific icon, so that the app would have
its own normal icon shown in the taskbar and titlebar, and could optionally
set a different icon for the tray. For animations etc. it would have to
change it dynamically.

> > In  addition, it uses a runtime-generated icon as well.  I believe it
> > also has a special action if you middle-mouse click on the icon, but I'm
> > not as worried about that.  I'd very much like for the first two points I
> > noted to not break though.

 I guess one of the possibilities for the MMB action would be "pass to
application". Then the MMB click would be forwarded just like scrollwheeling
and DND will have to be.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer