On Monday 18 of April 2005 20:48, Fred Schaettgen wrote: > On Monday, 18. April 2005 17:34, Lubos Lunak wrote: > .. > > > > What do you suggest for KWallet? It's important to know that a > > > wallet is open. Likewise for the print manager... > > ... > > > Hmm. Both KWallet and the print manager look like a mixture of 1), > > because there's a mainwindow, and 3), because it's a bit like > > notification, to me. But the mainwindow and the whole app can go away > > when being idle, so that's not exactly like 1), and the notification > > should stay there the whole time if I get it right, so it's not exactly > > like 3). (Just to make sure: By notification here I think the special > > area in kicker where all pending notifications would be queued, as I > > suggested in my first mail.) > > I don't understand the exact meaning of "notification". How is the kwallet > icon a notification? Are you talking about a state indicator (wallet is > open) or an event notification (wallet was opened)? Notification is "something has just happened". Which is also the reason why I have those few lines above have a problem with representing a state like that. > Isn't it possible to > display each and every state indicator as a window with a corresponding > taskbar item? KNotify is only about events currently. Do you want knotify > to display states, too? No, probably not. > Wouldn't it be better to give regular window more > possibilities to display a compact representation of their current state in > their taskbar item That could be done, yes. Although I think just the demand attention state and the window icon are enough. What more do you think could be useful? > and use knotify only for events? > This way the state indicator and the taskbar item for an application would > stay at the same place. Also taskbar items display various application > states already (application is running, currently open file is ...), so > having a separate state indicator area would make sense only for states > which don't correspond to anything we can show a window for - and I can't > imagine what that could be. -- Lubos Lunak KDE developer --------------------------------------------------------------------- SuSE CR, s.r.o. e-mail: l.lunak@suse.cz , l.lunak@kde.org Drahobejlova 27 tel: +420 2 9654 2373 190 00 Praha 9 fax: +420 2 9654 2374 Czech Republic http://www.suse.cz/