List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Known "showstoppers"?
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-26 11:19:23

On Friday 25 February 2005 20:01, George Staikos wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 13:52, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > George Staikos wrote:
> > >
> > >   This is rather ridiculous.  There's no way around it?  At least
> > > could it not start KMail without showing a window and then
> > > immediately closing it again?
> >
> > So kopete would start kmail, load the addressbook, close kmail.
> > Then konversation would start kmail, load the addressbook, close
> > kmail. Then korgac would start kmail, load the calendar, and close
> > kmail. And maybe korganizer is started by the session management,
> > so kmail would be started a fourth time, and quit immediately
> > afterwards. This just doesn't make sens.
>
>   It does make sense, but the solution is clearly more complicated
> than the developers are willing to implement at this time.  For
> instance, having the ability to read this data out of the kmail
> cache, or having a centralized process (that for instance terminates
> after x minutes of inactivity).  There are lots of solutions.

Yes, it's a design flaw. Unfortunately, we got aware of it too late. We
(well, mainly Till) plan to move the corresponding code out of kmail to
a library.

I don't think there's a quick&dirty solution for KDE 3.4. Yes, we could
start kmail without main window and with mail checking disabled. But
the problem is that it won't be possible to start Kontact with embedded
mail component afterwards because kmail's kernel must only run once
(either in Kontact or in the standalong KMail). Killing the hidden
kmail when Kontact is started would surely lead to a racing condition,
especially during session restoration. So I don't think that's an
option.

>   As it stands, this is a heavy penalty that kdepim imposes on KDE.
> Do the DAV resources suffer the same problems, or is this purely IMAP
> resource specific?

It should be purely IMAP resource specific because only the IMAP
resource uses kmail for accessing its data.

Regards,
Ingo