On Friday 18 February 2005 21:08, Charles Samuels wrote: > On Friday 18 February 2005 8:01, Stephan Kulow wrote: > > Well, so you question the concept of "everything is a directory" and not > > the efficiency of branching? > > Yes. In my opinion Subversion's concept is much easier to understand, because it represents exactly the situation that you would have without any revision control. Without it you do operations like cp -a project project.20050219 or cp -a project project.newfeature It's obvious what a branch really is, and therefore it's also much easier to understand what merging/joining branches means. You can see what it's all about in the view of your virtual subversion filesystem (svn ls or https://svn.kde.org/home/kde), or in a complete checkout if you want. With cvs branching and tagging are hidden behind commandline options. It's anything but obvious, in particular the difference of '-b' with the tag command. You can find out about tags and branches only through 'cvs status -v' on files or through the combobox in webcvs. (maybe there are easier ways, but those are the easiest I found at least, after years of using it) Simon