List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Subversion problems
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-02-18 18:41:29

Arnold Krille wrote:
>On Friday 18 February 2005 12:07, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Unfortunately, Subversion's WC (Working Copy) directory is at least
>> the double of the code checkout. So, the "state tarball" as you call
>> it would be as large as the checkout itself.
>> So there would be, effectively, no difference between checking out
>> from Subversion, or downloading a tarball consisting of .svn
>> directories only.
>
>Unless you compress the tarball. And a good compression should not only
>compress these text-files to a fraction of size, but perhaps also
> recognize the dublicates...

Considering the gzip compression done by the Apache HTTP server, the
checkout would be the same size -- or at least comparable to -- the
tarball download would be.

So, I don't see any benefit in making tarballs of .svn directories. In
fact, checking out with -N (--no-recurse) should improve the situation,
as you would download only what you need, when you need it.

As for the WC dir size, if you are short on disk space, you can try svk's
XD (the letters right after WC). It instead uses a local repository to
store files, at the expense of some disconnected operations no longer
being disconnected. svk is fully compatible with SVN servers.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cweað "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.