List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Future of KDE Development
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-17 14:45:24

On Thursday 17 February 2005 14:38, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> What i am trying to say is: given the fact that the primary
> development OS is Linux, and that there are also FreeBSD and Solaris
> KDE sites: in case i need to patch something for Solaris, but it
> won't work on Linux, or FreeBSD: can we work together and find a
> common solution, in these tricky cases ? i am very much aware that in
> certain cases, that won't be possible, and in certain other cases
> that won't even be necessary (for example, memory_solaris.cpp).
>
> i am offering to help and i am very much willing to work with anyone
> who is interested in working with me on this as well. it's not about
> defending one's turf, it's about finding common turf. :-)

I think people are a bit surprised by your question since many people,
including me, are under the impression that what you ask for is already
common practice. [1] Just drop a mail to kde-core-devel if there is a
specific porting issue that needs to be resolved.

Cheers,
Waldo

[1] Assuming at least that there is a responsive developer around for the
non-linux platform in question. It's hard to come up with solutions for
platform XYZ if there is no one around that can tell you how platform XYZ
works, or if there is no one around to notice that something is broken on
platform XYZ in the first place.
--
bastian@kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download
bastian@suse.com  |   http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html