List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Subversion problems
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-17 11:36:26

On Thursday 17 February 2005 10:10, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Hi!
>
> While doing more detailed experiments with subversion, we found two
> strategic problems with it:

{SNIP}

> Now I would like to have some input on the problems we face. Would you
> prefer to not loose the date<->revision mapping or doesn't it matter?

Based on the above I think we should consider to keep the CVS repository
available for KDE < 3.5 That may even allow you to truncate the change
history to the last 2 or 3 years when importing into SVN and throw out things
like the KDE_1_1_BRANCH.

For new developments I don't think it's too dramatic if searching by dates
doesn't work too well because the svn revision numbers can be used instead.
Even for the old stuff I hardly search by dates, the KDE release number is
usually much more useful than "June 2002".

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download