List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts on the systray
From:       Olaf Schmidt <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-14 8:58:05

[Aaron J. Seigo, Sonntag, 13. Februar 2005 23:58]
> 	o host apps (e.g. the systray applet in kicker) would consume this
> data to present an interface. the interface would be 100% under the
> control of the host app, including what to do when the user, for
> instance, right clicks on an entry versus left clicks on an entry.

I agree that the host application should have full control over the user
interaction. It should be far easier to make Kicker fully accessible this
way. And maybe it would even make sense for screen readers to implement
the system tray spec and to read out the information rather than painting
it.

> the application with a systray entry would only publish data, (and
> receive event notifications, for instance "the user wants to see a
> context menu for this entry")

I am wondering whether even the context menu should be shown by the host
application. Currently, all kicker applets have two context menus, with
one of them being nearly inaccessible to users who need a bigger button
size. Merging the two context menus would make the UI design far cleaner
and more standard. But I know it is very difficult to achieve, because it
would mean reworking the applet interface as well.

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project