On Tuesday 01 February 2005 04:30, Benjamin Meyer wrote: > Some KControl modules have a "Advanced Options" tabs while other have > "Advanced Options" buttons. Should they all try to do the same for > consistency sake? If the positive outcome of consistency would outrun any negative impact of going for non-optimal solutions in particular cases, it naturally would be the best thing to do. I would go for dialogs, because they are less invasive on the main interface(that is, all users), and most users don't need advanced options. Another issue is the wording. I think the word advanced is condescending on the user because it revolves around easy/difficult. It neither communicate what the widgets do -- how do you know whether you actually need an advanced option? I think some combination with the word details would be better. A definite answer can perhaps be found with inspiration from Apple's documentation. The matter in general is word consistency; I think the right place to /first/ starting to solve this issue is to give KDE the organizational infrastructure: documentation framework for word consistency, a glossary. Otherwise it'll grow out of hand again, after one have whacked CVS the first time. It's guidelines work, in other words. Cheers, Frans