On Monday 03 January 2005 21:46, Enrico Ros wrote: > Well, that's oversemplified. We all agree that the action might be > dangerous. And in fact the dialog can be like this: > > http://www.dei.unipd.it/~rosenric/temp/before.png > > Notice 'cancel' focused. So the user has to read the advistoy; we have the > disclaimer; he/she has to click on the checkbox and then: > > http://www.dei.unipd.it/~rosenric/temp/after.png For one thing, this is misuse of the checkbox widget. The state of a checkbox in a dialog is noramlly decisive for how the application behaves *after the dialog has been closed*. To show additional content on a dialog, it's common to us a button with a double arrow folowing the button text, like [ More Options >> ] If the mission is to help possibly unexperienced users, we should definately not mess with widget usage :) In this case, maybe a widget in the wizzard style would be better -- press 'Continue' and see the command. After all the purpose is to slow down the user and cause him to thing carefully. Of cause the coolness factor of clicking a link in a presentation and have a command immediately executed vanishes, but hey -- that is why we have specialized presenttaion programs isn't it? (or do those just present us with the exact same security issue - you can download presentations from the internet as well?) Maybe we should only execute commands from a file that is signed with a valid, approved certificate or a trusted pgp key? FWIW: My mother, who is a unexperienced computer user, reads dialog texts, and hates when they are unclear. Since this sort of warning is helpfull to her, I allways feel embarrassed on her [still windows] PC's behalf when it displays nonsense, which is unfortunately often. -anders -- Homepage: http://www.alweb.dk Jabber address: anderslund@jabber.dk