List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2004-12-23 22:29:39

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 21. Dezember 2004 19:58, schrieb George Staikos:
>    To put this a different way, KDE libraries are designed to write
> consistent and powerful GUI applications quickly and easily.  KDE takes
> full advantage of component based design, and integration across
> applications and components.  You, on the other hand, wish to remove this
> from KDE so that applications that don't use KDE libraries will be able to
> share code in some sort of loose way?  I'm choosing to ignore the idea of
> GUI code in the libraries being a problem because we're creating a desktop
> platform, and really, CLI tools are great (and I use primarily CLI tools
> day-to-day), but come on, it's not really that relevant to our end goals.

I'm not sure about your last point. I guess there may some people around who
would like to extend the KDE project to the server. E.g. computer supported
groupware systems like group editors: those do not need a gui themselves as
every client got them on their own. But would like to use the infrastructure
and technology KDE/Qt brings along.

Friedrich