List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Set shadowSortColumn false per default
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-21 18:35:43

On December 21, 2004 11:05, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 December 2004 1:28 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > innovation? if something makes it inhospitable to the majority of our new
> > users then that's one thing, but simply being different is not an
> > argument in an of itself IMHO.
>
> I think the first thing you said definitly applys here - this is going to
> be confusing at best, annoying at worst, to any new KDE users coming from
> Mac, Windows, or Gnome.

you mean "annoying at best, confusing at worst", and i'd posit that anyone who
suffers true confusion from this likely lacks the mental capacity to notice
it in the first place. ;)

"annoying" i'll buy, but let's wait to see what users think of it in a beta,
no?

> doing is in no way obvious. Why is this column shaded differently than the
> others? Is it a bug (this is what I thought at first!!!)? Is it because
> there is some problem with an item in that column? Is it because the odd
> numbered columns are being shaded and this is column 1? Is it because this
> column contains some form of important information?

so it prompted you in the right direction: there's something important here.
great.

> It is totally not intuitive that this colorization is indicating the sort
> column.

"intuitive" is a trapdoor word. there are no intuitive interfaces, only
learned ones.

> nor does shading it it increase readability. In fact it could be said it
> decreases readability since now I have black text on a grey background,
> rather than a white one.

as i said earlier, it could use some artistic loving. it sucks in two ways,
neither of which have to do with teh concept IMHO:

	0. it should colour the WHOLE column, even when it's a tree
	1. it should be more subtle and pleasing to the eye.

to be honest, i think that's the real issue here: eye appeal, rather thatn the
usability aspect of it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric