List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)
From:       nf <nf2 () scheinwelt ! at>
Date:       2004-12-20 23:27:27

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 23:42, George Staikos wrote:

>   You are ignoring the overall issue and focusing on a small detail.  Where do
> you consider stopping "code sharing"?  Do you intend to write one desktop to
> replace both KDE and Gnome, or perhaps rewrite KDE using Gnome libraries?

My point is that there are certain areas where common infrastructure is
necessary to make the free desktop "just work". The VFS is perhaps the
most important candidate - but also the hardest part. Other problems can
be - and already have been solved - with common fd.o standards.

For the rest it's cool to have some kind of competition.

> After all, having two widget sets is definitely a problem for a "Common
> Desktop".

Why? There are lots of different widget sets on other quite "successful"
desktop operating systems and nobody would ever complain.

Norbert