On Tuesday 07 December 2004 19:14, Cristian Tibirna wrote: > On Tuesday 07 December 2004 13:44, Frans Englich wrote: > > > needed. XML is not nearly as human friendly, and i think that's an > > > important thing to keep in mind as well. > > > > I would consider that such a low priority it can be neglectable; that > > people need to manually hack files is the bug, not that it's difficult. > > I'm sure that if you read the above you disagree with yourself. Needing to > manually manipulate own data (configurations in this case) isn't a bug. > It's an inalienable right! If you like. A right a small percentage of our users has the skills and interest to exercise. It's nothing wrong with having that right, it just doesn't matter for the vast majority of our users -- the /overall/ result wouldn't be nice if we went for a solution which made it top notch for geeks like us, and made it negative for the wide majority. This is getting theoretical(not that it isn't needed). > And that's one of the reasons Windows obscures > config in the first place, very probably. (Similar to how integration does not equal lock-in -- Konqueror has integration without lock-in -- does the inability to manually edit physical text files not mean that user influence cannot be reached in other ways.) However, I think Aaron's comments on the matter shows flaws in my reasoning -- the ability is not fully neglectable as I wrote; it do matters for the IRC case, for example. One can draw a parallel to XML; one reason it took off, from what I have read, was its low entry threshold; it didn't require some obscure tool for inspecting a binary format, only a plain text editor. The ability to manually edit text files(if that's now the physical format) isn't irrelevant as I initially wrote, but it sure must have a low priority(and where how much it is compromised depends on how important other aspects of the matter are). Cheers, Frans