List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Moving dnssd to kdelibs
From:       Jakub Stachowski <stachowski () hypair ! net>
Date:       2004-12-01 15:53:41

Hello,

I would like to propose moving kdenonbeta/kdnssd/dnssd (simple library build
on Apple's mDNSResponder for discovering and publishing services using DNS-SD
aka ZeroConf aka Rendezvous protocol) into kdelibs. Reason: after several
months of development I think it is quite good shape and I have several
use-cases for that:
 - patch for krdc to search for remote desktop. It was approved by maintainer
(Tim Jansen) but can't go in without dnssd lib
- patch for kpf to publish information about shared dirs, so you can find it
using dnssd:// ioslave on kde, nautilus on gnome or safari on mac
- patch for kaddprintwizard (in progress)  - this is main reason why lib needs
to be in kdelibs and not kdenetwork.

- random idea I just got (not even started yet) for easy launching remote apps
(not whole session): add new submenu to standard k-menu: 'K -> Remote
application -> (list of hosts) -> (normal k-menu for every host) '. List of
hosts could be populated by searching for _remoteapps._tcp (advertising
location of /usr/share/applications and ssh port) or something similar. List
of applications could be populated by reading
fish://user@host/usr/share/applications and parsing just like local menu, but
any 'exec=app' would be changed into 'exec=kdessh -X user@host app' (kdessh
would have to be able to enable X11 forwarding)

DNS-SD lib is based on Apple's mDNSResponder, (all functions will return
immediate failure when compiled without it) so it would be new optional
dependency. If you are concerned about legal issues, then I can say there is
nothing to worry about: client library has been relicensed to BSD about 2
months ago. I have provided some patches for Posix version of mDNSResponder
to implement missing features (see
http://lists.apple.com/archives/rendezvous-dev/2004/Nov/msg00055.html and
followups) and according to Marc Krochmal from Apple they are going into CVS
today, and after my confirmation that everything is working as expected new
release will be made.