List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KNewStuff Wallpapers
From:       Josef Spillner <spillner () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-01 10:26:06

Am Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2004 00:59 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> I've got a patch adding KNewStuff support for the background wallpaper
> KControl module
>
>  http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/background-khotstuff.png
>  http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/background-khotstuff.diff

Nice, especially the usage of the icon :-)
In KStuff CVS there are also patches for koffice, kcm_icons, boson etc. if
anyone cares to implement this.

> The obvious place to download wallpapers from is kde-look but that
> will likely cause the server to use much more bandwidth than it does
> today.
>
> Would it be possible for frank@kde-look to have a directory on
> ftp.kde.org where the latest/highest ranked and most downloaded
> wallpapers (later icons and sounds etc) could be uploaded then we can
> point KControl to download.kde.org?

It would probably still make sense to have the providers.xml file on
kde-look.org but to dynamically rotate the download server.
This can be done on providers.xml level or on IP level (load balancing of
download.kde.org). Just in case...

> There is also the issue of occational copyright infringement on
> kde-look.  Any problem files are removed quickly but it would take a
> while for the removal to propagate around download.kde.org if they had
> already spread.

The only alternative is to have trusted people control which kind of
submissions get accepted. This is not a knewstuff issue, even though the
hotstuff web interface supports such a submission queue already.

Josef