On Thursday 25 November 2004 14:29, Waldo Bastian wrote: > (Cornelius) > > Might it be desirable to not require DCOP here, so that distribution > > specific tools don't need to be able to use DCOP? > > In KDE4 they will be able to use DBUS instead. I don't think it makes sense > to develop a new IPC mechanism just to fill the gap till then. Note that > they can use the dcop command line utility as long as we don't put > non-standard data types in the DCOP interface. That's a point to keep in > mind of course. I don't know about developing a new IPC but it would make sense to provide a lower level hook so that this service can talk to the numerous distribution specific connection control tools, and listen to their notification services, even if it requires distributions to write a glue plugin. We could provide a DCOP plugin for the simple case and replace this part with DBUS for KDE 4. Will -- Will Stephenson IRC: Bille