List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Keeping track of online/offline status & central DNS
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-25 15:41:34

On Thursday 25 November 2004 06:11, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have prepared some ideas for improving the general network experience, in
> particular for those use-cases where the internet connection is subject to
> availability (e.g. wireless or dial-up access)
>
> This is just a first rough draft, your feedback is appreciated on all
> aspects of this.

  You were reading my mind.  I was thinking that we badly need this for KDE
ASAP, and your design is even very similar to what I was thinking.

   One thing I would consider adding is a mechanism for tracking status of
secondary networks (VPNs, point-to-point links, etc).  The user or VPN apps
could register their network there (in a persistent manner) and also notify
when it's available or not.  Quick glance and other replies makes me think
that's what others have asked for too.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/