On Monday 22 November 2004 00:23, Thiago Macieira wrote: > My solution consists in: > 1) adding the --enable-new-dtags flag to the linker, if supported. This > makes GNU ld emit RUNPATH directives as well as RPATH. The consequence is > twofold: > a) RPATH is ignored > b) RUNPATH is overrideable by LD_LIBRARY_PATH at run-time Wow, very nice. [This is how RPATH should always have been IMHO]. > 2) making libtool's stub script use LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well as relinking. > (In truth, it probably doesn't have to relink, but I didn't want to make > such an intrusive change) A libtool that doesn't need to relink anymore - that would be so awesome... Thanks a lot - I knew there was a way to do this cleanly :) Should we use $RUNPATH even independently from the -as-needed stuff? I think it makes it much easier to have several versions of KDE around, if you can really control which one is found at runtime (using LD_LIBRARY_PATH) without the "hardcoded into the libs/bins" RPATHs taking precedence. But well, since this fix makes it ok again to have -as-needed on by default, it probably doesn't matter much what happens when disabling it. -- David Faure, faure@kde.org, sponsored by Trolltech to work on KDE, Konqueror (http://www.konqueror.org), and KOffice (http://www.koffice.org).