Am Mittwoch 10 November 2004 18:02 schrieb Michael Nottebrock: > On Tuesday, 9. November 2004 18:17, Szombathelyi György wrote: > > I hope this small(?) inconvenience will not end in removing the > > --as-needed patch (if you're a developer, and disturbed by this behavior > > you can always compile with --disable-as-needed), > > I agree it is useful, but like closure and final, it's not obviously not > totally guaranteed-to-work-no-matter-what - why not handle it like closure > and final and make --disable the default and make things consistent. There > will be always enough developers and packagers enabling it and thus > preventing it from rotting. closures were enabled for a very long time and were disabled as enough systems support -Wno-undefined to make it not necessary any more (beside for template support on some compilers). And final is just no toy, as it takes much too much memory for a background compile job. The situation with as-needed is a bit different: it can actually break something, but we're not sure yet what. As far as I understood Lauri the nvidia problem was there before, it only triggered with the linker flag. And unless we know what the problems are I see no point in hiding the flag. If it appears to cause unmaintainable trouble, we can still disable it, but I don't see that yet. Greetings, Stephan