List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: DBUS & KDE 4
From:       Havoc Pennington <hp () redhat ! com>
Date:       2004-10-02 23:41:54

Hi,

I'm the first to admit dbus is verbose and has a lot of lines, I think
there are several reasons:

 - unit tests (70%-plus coverage of basic blocks, quite good)
 - docs (all or nearly all public API has inline doxygen)
 - virtualization of features such as stream transport,
   authentication, etc. (in C, which is verbose)
 - handling out of memory (doubles size or more, I think)
 - no dependencies (means you have to hand-roll some stuff)
 - the "binding glue" to support main loop integration etc.
   is much of the libdbus API, the app-programmer API
   should be far smaller

C/no-dependencies was just required to get adoption - cf. earlier
complaints in this thread about dependencies - and OOM handling was
required for the systemwide/secure bus. Unit tests and docs are just
sane. Some of the virtualization may turn out to be pointless and we can
change it back to hardcoded.

Also, I just like long function and variable names. ;-) But insert the
old joke about how code runs faster if the variable names are only one
letter...

The size ignoring comments and whitespace is pretty sane:
[hp@localhost dbus]$ grep ';' *.[hc] | wc -l
14711

And that still includes unit tests and so forth.

Havoc