List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: DBUS & KDE 4
From:       Maks Orlovich <mo002j () mail ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       2004-09-29 20:10:12

> 100% is desirable, but I don't think it will be achievable unless you just
> encapsulate the whole DCOP payload in DBUS and at its destination feed it
> back into the original DCOP demarshalling function. (I called that DCOP
> over DBUS in another message)

Well, that's why  I much prefer native being DCOP (well, OK, I also like DCOP
more), and just re-marshalling messages that are meant for D-BUS hosts. This
basically leaves all the old stuff unaffected, and all old code works just
like before. No old app will ever dcop to org.freedesktop.foo.ping by
accident w/complicated types (i.e. user might click on them in kdcop3, but
will just get an "unknown type" error),  and the types that go across the
boundary will be known in advance, defined by whatever D-BUS-based protocol
is being talked.

-Maks