List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: DBUS & KDE 4
From:       Harald Fernengel <harryf () gmx ! com>
Date:       2004-09-29 15:25:16

Hi,

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 16:51, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> 2) Provide DBUS support, deprecate DCOP, convert at runtime all DCOP IPC to
> DBUS to provide 100% backwards compatibility.

> It seems to me that conversion of the call arguments may be impossible in
> cases where the argument types are application defined.

This is possible via QMetaType and the custom D-BUS type, I use this trick to
transfer more complicated stuff in my accessibility bridge.

Porting applications from dcop to D-BUS should be easy, you basically throw
out stuff since a separate IDL compiler is no longer required and you can
connect any slot/signal to D-BUS.

I can also see no show-stoppers in providing a dcop command line client that
talks D-BUS.

Harald