List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP D-BUS HAL and new cd's
From:       Kévin_Ottens <ervin () ipsquad ! net>
Date:       2004-09-20 16:21:31

Le Dimanche 19 Septembre 2004 16:17, Simon Hausmann a écrit :
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 15:28, Kévin Ottens wrote:
> > The simplified answer is using sloccount.
>
> 3) Lines of code is a terrible metric on the quality, complexity and
> portability of software :)

That's why I said that my answer was simplified. ;-)

> Seriously, to me that is comparing apples with oranges. The linux portion
> is about extracting information from the kernel (into the udi hierarchy and
> name/value property sets) and the rest is about dynamically publishing that
> information over the system wide dbus. Two different solutions for
> different problems.

I put the metric for both to see the whole line of code numbers... But the
relevant part is the hald/linux one only. It was not for comparison
purposes... It was not a clever idea to put both after all.

But I still believe that having 10k lines of code for "only" extracting
information from the kernel is a lot. As I never stopped to say, I maybe
wrong (and I hope to be proved wrong as soon as possible ;-) ).

> I find the interface between those two much more interesting.
> http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/hal/2004-June/000421.html describes a bit
> of it.

That sounds as good news in the future.

Regards.