List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP D-BUS HAL and new cd's
From:       Michael Pyne <pynm0001 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2004-09-18 4:22:34

On Friday 17 September 2004 10:23 pm, David Johnson wrote:
> The concern is that HAL would be dependent upon Linux. For something
> like kfloppy, this is no big deal, just don't use kfloppy. But the
> nature of HAL is very different. One could easily lose major swatchs of
> functionality on non-Linux systems.
>
> I'm not suggesting that this will be the case with HAL, only pointing
> out what the concern is.

I think that we should keep in mind that we shouldn't necessarily ignore
technologies like HAL just because they exist only on one system.  Even our
Qt toolkit has a setWindowOpacity call that doesn't work (yet) on Linux. ;-)

If things like HAL are good enough, then it will either be ported to BSD, or
BSD will come up with something equivalent which we then then adopt in KDE.
But we shouldn't hold KDE back because all of our supported platforms don't
adopt a key library at once.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne