List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP D-BUS HAL and new cd's
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-09-17 12:17:59

On Thursday 16 September 2004 08:08, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> Currently KAudioCreator, kscd (and others?) polls the cd device whenever
> the apps are open.  Looking forward I would like to replace that with some
> sort of system that can send KAudioCreator a message that the cd was
> ejected or inserted.
>
> As DCOP, D-BUS, and HAL are the current talk of the town I was curious if
> it was discoused at akadamy and what the results were.

What I've seen of HAL so far looked very convincing. You get a nice API for
querying what kind of devices you have in your system and you can query all
sorts of properties off them (like if it is mounted, the fs usage, whether it
is a block device). You also get notification when properties change or
devices get added or removed. And it's not varpourware, it actually works.

It also looks like the right layer to me. For example if someone wants to add
support for hotplugging in Solaris he could implement that bit in hald and
KDE and GNOME would see it.

Simon