List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: www/areas/usability/hig
From:       Jason Bainbridge <jbainbridge () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-23 15:06:48

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:41:08 +0200, Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 22 August 2004 14:40, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> >  o reforming the UIG requires buy in from all stakeholders, which you do
> > not have with your fork. i do not see how you can claim that your fork is
> > "soon to become version 1.0" when you lack this consensus.
>
> I see a need to have buy in for the _contents_ of the UIG, but the format of
> the thing is really not an issue. So far everyone who has shown some concern
> about the UIG seems to agree that a docbook version is better managable and
> maintainable than the current version.

I am guessing there has been some threads on kde-usability that we
have missed in regards to itents on changing the content of the UIG
but right now all it involves is improving the format and
maintainability of the guide so from a kde-www point of view this is a
good thing. From what I can tell the assignment of the version number
of 1.0 is just to signify the completion of the change to the new
format and isn't a fork but a replacement.

Although I agree with Waldo we should probably replace
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/
with the new http://usability.kde.org/hig/ as it is the same thing
just in a better format.

As for changes to the content itself that is a totally different
story, that is something that should be discussed and agreed on by
kde-usability then approved by kde-core-devel. If there were changes
to the content that weren't going through the right people then it
would be a problem but as it stands now I see it as being a good
effort that we should be thankful for, I should know I started
converting the UIG once myself and never finished it as it was quite a
large job.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge