List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: www/areas/usability/hig
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-22 12:40:54

On Sunday 22 August 2004 04:04, Frans Englich wrote:
> CVS commit by englich:
> However, all this depends on people's reactions. If there's a better way
> this can be done/timed/whatever, it is of course important to do that
> instead. All I know is what have been mentioned on KDE's lists(and related
> news/blog sites). Aaron, you've expressed strong opinions about this
> project -- this is a great opportunity to provide feedback so it doesn't
> crash with anything else you might know about.

i already have expressed that i do not want to see this happen and that it
does conflict directly with one of the two primary process-related topics
that will be covered in the usability track here at aKademy. (the other
process-related topic has to do with openusability.org)

but despite having requested that you hold off for a couple days and instead
participate in the usability track via IRC or whatever mechanism you can, you
have gone ahead and done this anyways. i'm not your manager, but i am someone
who is theoretically working towards common goals with you, and both of us
are supposed to be doing that w/regards to the rest of the project.

by not doing this you seriously degrade the respectability of the usability
project and make me question your ability to work with the rest of us in this
regard.

here's the simple explanation for why what you are doing is a bad idea,
because i know you'll probably just ask for it (again) if i don't:

 o reforming the UIG requires buy in from all stakeholders, which you do not
have with your fork. i do not see how you can claim that your fork is "soon
to become version 1.0" when you lack this consensus.

 o we can't have standards when there are forks. we now have guidelines on
both developer.kde.org and usability.kde.org and that is not only completely
against the idea of interface STANDARDS but is beyond ridiculous. i look
forward to seeing the (justfiable) "KDE is stupid because..." flames on the
web as a result of this once someone actually notices =(

seriously.... stop this. if you don't, i will simply seek other measures to
ensure you do such as restricting your rights to commit to
www/areas/usability

--
Aaron Seigo, currently in Ludwigsburg
KDE World Conference 2004: aKademy