On Saturday 14 August 2004 11:40 am, Stefan Teleman wrote: > Just my 0.02, for what they are worth: > > I don't believe that, realistically speaking, any of the commercial > UN*X vendors (Sun, IBM, HP, to name the ones with the largest market > share) will ever agree to redesign their kernels. I believe that > relying on a kernel dependent implementation will essentially shut > KDE out of any kernel, but those which support such facilities. This > would probably mean Linux exclusively. > > Would this type of requirement be beneficial to KDE in the long run ? > IMHO, it wouldn't. I said the following: "Ideally 90% of our users (Linux) would get their audio mixed by the kernel (so they'd get the lower cpu usage, less latency, and compatibility with other apps). The other 10% would get some stupid soundserver to do the mixing." What would be beneficial to (90% of) our users is finally not needing a mixer to make their user experience much *much* worse. -Charles -- Charles Samuels Don't change horsemen in the middle of an apocalypse!