List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kconfig's file handling (was: XFS: how to NOT null files on fsck?)
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-13 11:05:20

heya,

read the attachement first (put on your asbestos underwear first ;).
not exactly news to me, but somehow i never got to fixing it ...

care needs to be taken to preserve file permissions and symlinks.

there are a few cases where the 'write temp file + rename' mechanism is
impossible to apply, though, as we are forced to overwrite the original
file: when we have no write permission in the directory the file lives
in, or if we write a foreign file (and are not supposed to grab
ownership). in these cases we cannot ensure integrity, but at least we
could prevent partial writes by first filling up the old file with
newlines up to the new size - the out of space error would occur while
the old data is still intact.

any takers? waldo?

greetings