List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Libtool & libraries
From:       Szombathelyi "György" <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2004-05-23 19:48:25

Hi!

I've just curious about the following issue:
Why every program/library linked to all of the libraries which the prog/lib
indirectly depends on?
An example:
If I build kdelibs with fam support, then libkio will linked against libfam.
But why all other kde programs, that linked against libkio is linked against
libfam? Now Fedora Core2 is supplied with selinux, and fam is linked with
libselinux. And what happens? _Every_ kde program is linked against
libselinux. Now if some wants to distribute binary version of his kde
program, it's very hard to do it in a fairly portable way.
As I looked into the building process, libtool links a program to all
dependency_libs in the .la files. Is this a wanted or unwanted side effect of
libtool?
Sorry if this question is too dump/trivial, but I really can't find out why
all of the kde programs is linked against libpng, libz, libXrender, libfam,
libselinux and other libraries which is not even referenced in these
applications.

Bye,
György