List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-Addon classes merge
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-04-20 14:40:51

Thiago Macieira wrote:
>Imagine a simple two-machine home LAN. You don't want to waste
> resources in running named. So, what do you do? Use your ISPs DNS
> servers in /etc/resolv.conf and put your two machines' names and IP
> addresses in /etc/hosts. This HAS to work. The only reason it
> currently works is that I've asked people not to do asynchronous
> lookups (because it's broken), thereby never using QDns.

Sorry, correcting myself. This is not a good example.

QDns does look into /etc/hosts.

But other situations, like hosts coming from NIS, are supposed to work.
There's a reason why you have /etc/nsswitch.conf and you can change the
configuration. Mine has:

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files nisplus nis nres dns winbind

So, for instance, one of the options is winbind (SMB networks).

The problem here is that some of the lookups honoured it (synchronous
ones) and some didn't (asynchronous ones). This is not consistent.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info