List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: py(Qt|KDE) and KDE CVS
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2004-03-19 10:36:54

On Friday 19 March 2004 11:31, Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> More background: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs3141/ is a course on pyqt /
> pykde, announced in kde-devel among other places.

Yes, they even use my PyQt book for that course, but tell the students to use
the web version at opendocs, instead of buying a paper copy...

<...>

> [1] Apparently, pyQt development has become a lot more stable recently,
> and _in principle_ it's a matter of re-generating the bindings when a new
> release comes out. Since everything's frozen prior to a release, it should
> be possible to generate the bindings as well in the freeze period even
> before a release. One suggestion is to copy generated bindings into KDE
> CVS (on a regular basis?) much like qt-copy.

Same should hold for PyKDE.

> [2] Including a tarball with KDE releases would be one approach.

I think that could work quite well -- it could be enough to make people pick
it up an use it. It would also be nice if one could commit code that depends
on PyQt or PyKDE into the KDE cvs. (I would like to have the option to use it
for some things in Krita, having been in love with PyQt for years. At one
point we're going to need a scripting solution in Krita that makes it
possible to code dialogs, and PyQt would be perfectly suitable.)

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi