On Thursday 19 February 2004 17:56, Guillaume Laurent wrote: > On Thursday 19 February 2004 17:34, Stefan Gehn wrote: > > And not every mediaplayer should have to code its own mp3 decoder, > > equalizer and whatnot. > > There are libs for that. > > > Then it could as well go and pump data directly into > > /dev/dsp because there's not much work left anymore and thus no > > soundserver is needed. > > The only reason a sound server is needed is for braindead sound cards which > do not allow multiple openings of /dev/dsp, I don't see any other valid > one. > > > > > You don't want to set > > > > different volumes for different apps? > > > > > > That's each app job, not the soundserver's. > > > > I don't think so. > > You really want a sound server to store and remember something as volatile > as app names and volume settings ? > > > But that's the reason why there's arts. Don't reinvent the wheel all the > > time. Just because some app wants to adjust its sound volume it would > > need its own code to do so. > > Again, there are libs for that. Such code does not belong in a sound > server. Keep it lean, invisible, and, most of all, *reliable*. The less > code there's in it, the better. I agree 100% For almost all needs there is no sound server required. Decoding and adjusting volumes can be done *perfectly* with libs. Why should the api become harder if it is a in-process-lib compared to an out-of-process daemon ? I need a daemon if I want to have sound on remote X. Then a daemon is required to get the sound over the network to my local soundcard, but a reliable one. A daemon which does *everything* is not reliable. In this case I'd like to be able to say: "media framework lib, please use the mas/arts/... plugin instead the oss plugin to get the audio data to the host I am sitting at". Bye Alex -- Work: alexander.neundorf@jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de Home: neundorf@kde.org - http://www.kde.org alex@neundorf.net - http://www.neundorf.net