On Thursday 19 February 2004 17:34, Stefan Gehn wrote: > > And not every mediaplayer should have to code its own mp3 decoder, > equalizer and whatnot. There are libs for that. > Then it could as well go and pump data directly into > /dev/dsp because there's not much work left anymore and thus no soundserver > is needed. The only reason a sound server is needed is for braindead sound cards which do not allow multiple openings of /dev/dsp, I don't see any other valid one. > > > You don't want to set > > > different volumes for different apps? > > > > That's each app job, not the soundserver's. > > I don't think so. You really want a sound server to store and remember something as volatile as app names and volume settings ? > But that's the reason why there's arts. Don't reinvent the wheel all the > time. Just because some app wants to adjust its sound volume it would need > its own code to do so. Again, there are libs for that. Such code does not belong in a sound server. Keep it lean, invisible, and, most of all, *reliable*. The less code there's in it, the better. -- Guillaume http://www.telegraph-road.org