On Wednesday 18 February 2004 21:25, Scott Wheeler wrote: ... > Again, none of the multimedia apps in KDE deal with raw audio. I know that > solution sounds attractive and all that, but it's just not a simple problem > and there's no silver bullet for fixing it. From a software developers Yes, they all use the sound stuff which depends on arts. Turning encoded audio into raw samples is independent from the api of the backend (OSS/ALSA/MAS/arts....). The decoding step should also handle things like resampling to the sample rate of the backend, to the number of channels of the backend, etc. And after this is done, the decoded raw data should be playable by any backend (otherwise I'd consider the api of the backend broken). Bye Alex -- Work: alexander.neundorf@jenoptik.com - http://www.jenoptik-los.de Home: neundorf@kde.org - http://www.kde.org alex@neundorf.net - http://www.neundorf.net