List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    future versions (Re: [kde-announce] Announcing KDE 3.2)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-02-04 10:26:25

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 11:00, Brad Hards wrote:
> I see KDE 3.3 as a shorter release (perhaps 6 months?), with fewer new
> features than KDE 3.2 provided (that is, KDE 3.3 - KDE 3.2 < KDE 3.2 - KDE
> 3.1 in features terms).

As I said before I'd like to keep an eye on 3.2.1 before doing too much future
thinking :)

For me there are two things that would justify a quick KDE 3.3 release for me:
- Cleaning up kcontrol in introducing the long awaited theme manager and
  moving out the app specific modules (you know where I am, Scott :)
- Profile enhancements for konqueror, that were floating around shortly before
  release (#74097 is just another incarnation of that wish)

I haven't heard about the Qt atk bridge again (and afaik it's not part of the
Qt 3.3 changelog), that would have been another reason.

But 6 months is unrealistic. You end up with a release in august and that's exactly
the time where many of the nothern hemisphere are relaxing in the sun and don't
care about hacking. And less than 6 months is pretty unrealistic too, taking that we
spent roughly 3 months in feature freeze for 3.2.

So I think, we still need to see how much impact Qt4 has on our code base and then
we can schedule again.

Greetings, Stephan

--
There may be no I in TEAM, but a M and an E.