Am Mittwoch, 28. Januar 2004 19:39 schrieb Alexander Neundorf: > Hi Daniel, > > your mail is quite terse, I guess that's the reason why there wasn't much > response. I agree. There is also some stuff in it that seem to be either too GNOME specific (intltool) or too confusing (xlibs). > > On Tuesday 20 January 2004 11:03, Daniel Stone wrote: > > Hey dudes, > > I've just been appointed freedesktop.org release manager and am looking > > towards a freedesktop.org Platform release. I'm in the middle of tying > > up all our xlibs stuff (working out where existing modules are, cleaning > > them up, importing Xpm/Xaw), and making an xlibs release, then we get to > > look towards the fd.o Platform. > > > > Basically, the platform will contain: > > What is the "freedesktop.org Platform" ? > > > * xlibs - our xlibs repository, maintained by Keith/Jim; > > * xserver - our X server, maintained by Keith/Jaymz/Eric; > > + probably won't release with first platform > > Doesn't X come from xfree86.org ? Or is this Xouvert ? Or yet another X > software ? > > > * Cairo - this thing rocks; > > What is it ? A vector graphic library that supports different output targets (X Window, image buffer, PostScript). AFAIK people are starting to use this as engine for rendering GTK+ widgets. You can find more information on http://www.freedesktop.org/cairo. > > > * D-BUS - pretty fundamental, desktop-wise; > > Ah yes, D-BUS will probably be a nice thing :-) > But probably not before KDE 4. Or can we support it earlier ? Is its API already stable? > > > * intltool - the GNOME folks want to move it anyway; > > Something about internationalization ? Does KDE need/can KDE use it ? AFAIK > i18n works quite good in KDE. Looking at debian's description for the package (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/intltool.en.html) it seems to be rather GNOME specific. > > > * scrollkeeper - ditto; > > What's that ? I'm not sure...Maybe this http://scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net/ ? > > So, at least for me to many unknown things to get to excited about the > news. Maybe you can clarify a bit ? > > Bye > Alex Bye Christian