List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: XML Desktop config files (was: Re: Tons of questions. And some
From:       "Dr. Juergen Pfennig" <info () j-pfennig ! de>
Date:       2004-01-26 19:25:38

Hi,
I did really not want to trigger that XML discussion - I wanted to get other
things cleaned-up first (the mmap problem, cf-lf line termination and utf-8
detection via byte order prefix).

On Monday 26 January 2004 17:57, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> >KConfig lives in kdecore. Using libxml on this "low" level might cause
> > an unwanted dependecy on a non-KDE library. Would this be acceptable?
>
> Probably not. Write a plugin that can be loaded with KLibrary or some
> factory.

That's an idea that I like. Frans Englich initially asked wheter Desktop files
could support XML - and they are handled on a much higher level. Konqueror or
whatever could load an XML plugin for desktop files and could register an
XML-hook (a QT signal that passes the XML document maybe? But that would
break binary compatibility - I guess).

> The interesting twist is that the plugin's description file would be
> INI-style.

Sure. For simple theoretical (and practical) reasons the INI style files will
always be faster than XML and so most of the config files should remain as
they are.

Jürgen