List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Integration mailing-list and module
From:       Tim Jansen <tim () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2004-01-19 15:13:51

On Monday 19 January 2004 14:42, Leo Savernik wrote:
> I agree, from the user's point of view it is *the dream*.

Is it?
The user's dream is to have as many good applications as possible. And in the
short term a way to achieve this is to 'assimilate' applications from other
projects. But in the long term, when the 'market' for free DEs matures, it is
likely to consolidate. Just like there is only one free web server that
matters. Then the commercial competition is the target, and things like a
simple architecture and easy/cost-efficient development become much more
important. MS obviously recognized that and focuses on making development
easier (http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg).
Whatever free DE may win, I bet that in 10 years the applications from the
other DE will be forgotten.

bye...