List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC on default settings
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2003-12-21 10:47:18

On Sunday 21 December 2003 11:30, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2003 10:45, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > 1. Double-clicking on window title goes from Shade -> Maximize.  I have
> > never actually seen someone intentionally shade a window.
>
> I use shading to organize applications with many dialogs, like GIMP or
> sodipodi, and also for some windows that i want to look at once in a while
> during work, examples are log viewers, konsole windows with some specific
> command running in them..

I too use it quite often, typically to "peek" under the foremost window.
Yes, I could iconify it , but then I would have to find the right window in
the Kasbar... I would not mind a default of "maximize" if it weren't
because...

> I'd rather see window decorations designed with use rated over looks, since
> there are maximize buttons in them.

windows all have a maximize button, and no shade button.

> That said, I do realize that few people appreciate shading though.
>
> > 2. Konsole: only visually indicate a beep in the konsole tabs - never
> > actually play KDE_Beep_Beep.wav.  Beeping at the user just because s/he
> > pressed backspace at the cmdline line or scrolled too far in Vi is not
> > friendly at all and borders on annoying.
>
> Please no. The beep is there by tradition, and is a very usefull
> notification. Many users are hiding all the GUI of konsole, which makes the
> visual alternative redundant.

If a noisy kde is a problem, I'd rather remove or tone down the startup and
shutdown sounds... think of an office in the morning with tens of coumputers
playing chords.

Luciano