On Thursday 18 of December 2003 15:32, Ralf Nolden wrote: > Hi, > > just to pick up some more suggestions and ideas - one thing that bugs most > people is that they think KDE is one big chunk of stuff, AKA bloatware. > While most of this behavior depends on our defaults in startkde, I think it > would be good to offer people an editor where they can choose which > programs to start at kde startup. Of course, that would require reading in > a > user-dependent startkde file if it exists, otherwise use the system > default. > > That way admins of large installations can determine the KDE startup a lot > better and can even replace the windowmanager easier (you could do that > with a combo box which one to choose for instance). I found out that many > admins don't know how KDE is started and that it is way easier than they > think it works to change KDE's startup; on the other hand users are very > picky as well if they don't want to change system wide files but just make > their own startup of KDE. > > Seen from that perspective, the startkde script is a really outdated system > where we should think of something that is easy to customize even for mom > and dad as well as the sysadmins that have to do their settings, maybe even > over ldap. > > Any suggestions, ideas ? We don't do that much in startkde, it starts kdeinit (+dcopserver+kded+klauncher), kcminit, knotify, and ksmserver. These are either needed, do only initialization, or are loaded on demand anyway. IMHO your editor should simply edit $KDEDIR/share/autostart, which is the place where kicker, kdesktop etc. are started. The window manager is a bit different, as it's started by ksmserver based on $KDEWM, but I guess a configuration option for this could be added somewhere (maybe as another .desktop file with some special X-KDE key). > > Ralf -- Lubos Lunak KDE developer --------------------------------------------------------------------- SuSE CR, s.r.o. e-mail: l.lunak@suse.cz , l.lunak@kde.org Drahobejlova 27 tel: +420 2 9654 2373 190 00 Praha 9 fax: +420 2 9654 2374 Czech Republic http://www.suse.cz/