On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote: > from a resource point of view ... if we sum up the time spent on > handling duplicates, the total will be considerably smaller if the > maintainers take care of doing it, not the submitters. still we dare to Maintainers rarely handle the duplicate bug reports, people who read kde-bugs-dist do. (There are certainly some exceptions, with apps that have very engaged developers, but a large chunk of reports goes to konqueror anyway, which has a rather overloaded maintenance team). > value our own time higher then the time of the users for pragmatic > reasons - but even that does not hold if another kde developer reports > a bug. ergo, kde developers are allowed to file duplicates. :) What you're missing here is that checking for a duplicate increases work for only the reporter. A duplicate getting filed increases the workload for the dozen or so people who spend a considerable amount of timing sifting through incoming bug reports.