List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: freedesktop.org interview for OSNews
From:       "Roberto Alsina" <ralsina () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-17 21:39:21

> On Monday 17 November 2003 12:06, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>> I think those ideas are spot on. The unified MIME associations didn't
>> make
>> it in time for KDE 3.2, but I hope to get that implemented in the next
>> KDE
>> release. Sharing a VFS framework will be somewhat more difficult Since
>> the
>> functionality that KIO offers is quite complex it may not really be
>> feasible to fold that all in a common layer. What would be feasible is
>> take a basic subset of functionality common to both VFS and KIO and
>> standardize an interface for that. The goal would then be to give
>> applications the possibility to fall-back to the other technology with
>> some
>> degradation of service in case a specific scheme (e.g. http, ftp, ldap)
>> is
>> not available via the native framework. That would also be useful for
>> third
>> party applications that do not want to link against VFS or KIO.
>
> I think the major issue is that KDE can use C-libs, but Gnome can't use
> C++-libs, so the things which might be unified, will always end up as
> C-libraries -> i.e. no Qt/KDE, but probably Gtk/Gnome libraries.

Well, the work in KDE and Qt bindings has really made C-over-C++ wrappers
way simpler than they were, say, 5 years ago. Why should KDE always live
with a wrapper when it can go both ways?

> Some time ago I had a look at a gnome vfs-module (since I'd actually like
> write a vfs-module for the lanbrowsing daemon, lisa), and it was, well, I
> didn't like it. Lots of macros, structures with function pointers and
> other
> things, which can be done much nicer using C++.

Precisely. A C wrapper over C++ implementation allows for a better quality
implementation, IMVHO.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
Imminentizing the eschaton since 1971.