List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Statement
From:       Richard Seibt <rs () suse ! com>
Date:       2003-11-11 13:19:43

Dear KDE developers,

since I joined SUSE in January 2003, I learned that KDE is one of the most
successful and fastest evolving open source projects. Since the first day I
use it myself and I am thrilled with it. My personal thanks to all of you who
contributed in the last seven years to KDE.

KDE is the defacto standard for Linux desktops in Europe. Without KDE, I do
not believe we would be seeing the interest in Linux on the corporate desktop
that we are seeing today and on the consumer desktop as well.

Please be clear: SUSE LINUX will continue to strongly support KDE.

Both the Ximian and SUSE LINUX acquisitions reaffirm Novell's strong belief in
the value of the open source development model and strengthen Novell's
commitment to supporting the open source community. SUSE LINUX is an
integrator with a wealth of experience in working with both the open source
community and the IT industry. SUSE LINUX brings extensive experience in KDE
and has a track record working with GNOME. Ximian has core competence in
GNOME and a great desktop focus, both in platform and product offerings.

Together with our Ximian colleagues at Novell, we will also enable our
customers to use GNOME with the same convenience and comfort KDE offers to me
and all SUSE employees today.

The integration capabilities SUSE LINUX brings will continue to help
seamlessly integrate Linux-based offerings, inside and outside of Novell.
Together, we might even think about new opportunities to leverage the usage
of Linux on the desktop. E.g. why do we not open Linux for Apple's Mac OS
desktop?

Today and tomorrow, we must be strongly committed to deliver what our
customers ask us for. They know best what tools will help to fit their needs.
That's why we recently choose our new slogan - Simply change! It is an
affirmation to all of us to listen what our customers and users need
-- and change our manners and goals, if necessary.

So I really love to stay with you in an ongoing and fruitful dialog.

Richard
--
Richard Seibt, Chief Executive Officer - Vorsitzender des Vorstandes
SUSE LINUX AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nuernberg