On Tuesday 11 November 2003 12:20, Stephan Kulow wrote: > On Tuesday 11 November 2003 12:42, Richard Dale wrote: > > > Starting with next monday (17.11) the extra rule applies: > > > * Every commit to released modules beside kde-i18n have > > > to contain a bug number with severity >= major. I'm trying > > > to watch the activities around bugs.kde.org as close as I can, > > > so make reasonable use of the severities. > > > > Does this apply to the kdebindings module too? In the past I've > > regenerated the java bindings about a week or so before the final > > release. If I do it too early, it only needs one minor change in one > > kdelibs header to break the build, and the kdebindings list gets bug > > report mails. As far as I know there are no translation or artwork > > dependencies affecting the current JNI based java bindings. > > define minor change. I can't think of many reasons we'd need to change > kdelibs interfaces for bug fixes. So I'd suggest you update the bindings on > saturday and then do a check before the release. I hope it will result in > no change. If it does not, you can of course still commit. That commit I'd > define part of whatever commit gone into kdelibs to change the interface. Yes, ok that sounds fine to me, I'll do that then. I don't get the impression that the headers are changing much for this release. As far as I can remember the last time there were changes being made to the KAction api and so on at a late stage. In the future I would like to have everything autogenerated as part of the configure, and not check any autogenerated stuff into the cvs. > > I've been working on ruby bindings for a while, but I couldn't put them > > in the KDE 3.2 release schedule, because it was too uncertain when they > > would be finished and whether I'd be able to get them working with the > > kdelibs classes at all. But now I really think the QtRuby bindings are > > getting to the stage where they 'just work', and I'd like to add the > > extension that allows you to do ruby programming under > > 'kdebindings/kderuby' soon. Then tell people about them via an > > announcement on dot kde news. Is it possible to call the ruby RAD stuff a > > 'technology preview' for the 3.2 release, and only build it if specially > > enabled with a configure option? Then perhaps add them properly on the > > schedule for the 3.2.1 release with a full description, and more code > > samples, documentation and fixes after the preview version. > > 3.2.1 is not supposed to contain new features, I don't see why you can't > release the ruby bindings independent of KDE 3.2.x - they are just not > there yet. The KDE bit isn't in the cvs - but it does exist, so I could check it into a branch (eg KDERUBY_1_0) rather than the HEAD, and announce something. The sort of 'early adopters' who might try it out will be able to get it from the cvs ok I should think. I think kdebindings are more to do with developers and should be part of any KDevelop release, if there is such a thing. They're only needed in the main release if someone writes a kde app in ruby or java or whatever that they would like included in the release. But my point is I wouldn't check it into the cvs unless I thought it had got to the stage of 'just working'. 95% of the code and functionality is in the QtRuby bit, not the kde-specific extension. I could have just added it to the release schedule when I only thought I had a 50% chance of getting it working. But I much rather under promise, over-deliver and look a slight prat, than the other way round and look a complete prat.. -- Richard