List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Serious spell-checker problems
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-09 20:44:48

Sorry if this mail will be somewhat OT...

On Sunday 09 November 2003 17:44, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Please refrain from reporting bugs for "somewhat older" versions.
According even to bugs.kde.org it is not advised to report bugs against
"versions older than a few weeks or non-current beta versions". Somewhat
older means in this case some days old, more exactly from around midnight
Nov. 4.

> We
> fixed the "in KMail the cursor disappears in the editor area and you
> can't type in anymore" problem and the "Undo/Redo doesn't work." a few
> days ago (at least for as-you-type spell checking).
First it was not a report for KMail, but for kspell, part of kdelibs (a core
component). KMail was an example and if you read the mail more carefully you
may have noticed that:
- - the same problem appears with 3 applications (and of course if we count the
applications using katepart)
- - the same sympthoms appear in KMail and KEdit
- - it was not about as-you-type spell checking in case of KMail

> And BTW, since when is kde-core-devel preferred over bugs.kde.org for
> bug reports?
Since my online time is limited. I explained this in some other mailing lists,
but hey, let's do also here. I have 30 hours/month in my internet
subscription for $35/month. Every extra minute is payed with $0.03. If
anybody knows about the Eastern Europe situation might have an idea that this
is far from being cheap. But the (cheaper) alternative is a dial-up
connection when often you get only 9600bps.
This means that I usually do:
- - correspond with mails
- - read webpages by opening them quickly and reading them offline
- - update/commit from CVS quickly

The last item takes quite much time from my subscription and it's normal as I
use the connection mainly for commiting stuff, updating (mostly kdelibs,
kdebase, kdevelop and kmail) and writing mails. I even close the bug reports
with mail, losing the ability to close them with INVALID, WONTFIX or such.
Dealing with bug reports using the web interface is very (online) time
consuming. Good that I can post comments and close them by mail.

The few reports I have on bugs.kde.org were done because mainly because the
bugs were severe and not fixed for a long time (e.g present in a stable
version). In case of CVS version I could report tens of bugs / day (if I
would have an unlimited connection), but it doesn't make sense. So I usually
wait for a few days and update again. In case if the bug is critical and
makes my box unusable, I must update often, although I really don't like it
as aside of using too much online time, I spend many time with the
recompilation.

Conclusion: bugs noticed in the CVS version that are severe and/or not fixed
for a longer period are reported by mail here, or on the application mailing
list. I _know_ that such reports might get unnoticed and the bug might remain
in the product and I also suggest reporting bugs on the bugs.kde.org, but I
_accept_ if they report on mailing list, and if I notice it and can, will fix
immediately as it's also good for me to have one less bug in my application.
You know, I'm not just an user out there. I'm a little more involved in
developing KDE apps.

I'm not saying that never done anything wrong or posted to the wrong mailing
list, or with an slightly offtopic content, but I don't think that you've
seen me flooding the mailing lists. (And I hope the khtml guys aren't mad
about me for the last 3 or 4 mails).

> Please report those bugs for the corresponding products on
> bugs.kde.org (after you've reproduced the problems with up-to-date
> versions of those apps).
Define up-to-date here...

Anyway, this seems to be a kspell issue which WAS really up-to-date when I
wrote the mail. I just finished it's installation prior to it.

Andras

PS: Yes, with today's KMail the cursor disappearing bug is fixed, but the
reported kspell bug is still present. It's even more strange as no matter what
I do, I can't run the spell checker through this mail.

> Regards,
> Ingo

- --