List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications
From:       Daniel Stone <daniel () fooishbar ! org>
Date:       2003-09-22 1:36:00

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:38:32AM +0200, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> DBs are useful when you need to sort through massive amounts of data in
> various ways. In most cases, given today's machines power, grepping through a
> flat text file will be more than enough to satisfy the data-related needs of
> an application.

So on the Pentium 166's that Computerbank hands out to applicants, they should
be grepping through flat files in massive recipe databases, for instance? "But
CPU power is cheap these days" does not hold water, and is not a valid excuse.
Instead, it should always be taken to expose the real underlying reason: lazy
developers.

Some of the most technically-clued people I know are still stuck on PII 350s,
BTW. Including one who left KOffice devel because the *apps* themselves were
too painfully slow and his patches to speed them up were rejected. So next time
you find yourself telling the list how cheap resources are, stop, think, and
recant.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel@fooishbar.org>
http://www.debian.org - http://www.kde.org - http://www.freedesktop.org