On Sunday 21 September 2003 10:11, Roberto Alsina wrote: > > Examples of applications where a DB makes sense: > > Recipe app (KRecipes) > Mail/News client (why not?, it makes "search folders" way simpler) > CD/Book/Whatever catalog > Notetaking applications (KJots, KNotes) > RSS aggregator (try handling 300 feeds in a flat file :-) And here we disagree. None of these apps would benefit from using a DB, and all are the perfect example of using a tool way too powerful and complex for the job. Email has the additional requirement that it *must* be in a format easy to recover. > Yes, all of these can be implememnted by grepping a few text files. > But > > a) That doesn't scale It scales more than enough for the amount of data a typical user will ever have to handle. > b) That's ugly ;-) Who cares, we need something which works, is easy to maintain and reliable. > c) That's actually harder! Come on. It can become harder if you actually have fairly complex queries to do. In most cases, it won't. > Please ask your VB-programming friends if having a semi-decent DB > available doesn't help writing apps. I don't have any VB-programming friends. I do have friends using DBs, and they would all tell you exactly the same thing : DBs don't apply in these cases. Note that by "DB" I mean a relational DB. Even if you make something like MySQL or Postgres lighter, it will still be overkill in most cases. I suppose BerkeleyDB is acceptable, although in terms of reliability it doesn't seem to have a very good track record. -- Guillaume. http://www.telegraph-road.org